Blah...Blah...Blog.

Fay's Findings.

3.11.2008

Improve The Shining Moments

Each day has exactly 24 hours. I sleep, or at least I should, for 8 of those. This leaves me with 16 hours to do whatever I feel like. This could be robbing a bank, cliff diving, playing the piano, learning a new language, cleaning, driving, people watching, eating, or even just sitting.

What do I do with my 24 hours? Or more importantly, the 12 shining hours. Today, the sun will be up for slightly less than 12 hours. Why not make those hours significant? Why not have every moment be a shining moment?

1. Improve the shining moments;
Don't let them pass you by.
Work while the sun is radiant;
Work, for the night draws nigh.
We cannot bid the
lengthen out their stay,
Nor can we ask the shadow
To ever stay away.

That's the first verse to an LDS hymn that I love. I appreciate it because it doesn't profess the need for perfection. It's about constant improvement, and taking advantage of each day. We all have the capacity to constantly be accomplishing something. But when night comes, I often have a hard time letting it go, and relaxing. I know my sleep would be more beneficial if I just let myself...sleep. Take full advantage of the shining hours of the day, as to not have to invade your night with the worries and tasks of the day.

As each day ends, a new one is just waiting to begin. Pretend like each day knows nothing about the day before. Don't carry baggage. It doesn't matter what happened previous to the present. If things went wrong, it doesn't mean they will again. If things went right, it doesn't mean they will again, and visa versa. Each day, we need to work to become closer to the person we want to be.

Every day, I'm given the opportunity to improve myself and my surroundings. Every day, I have the chance to be productive, effective, and efficient. Why am I not doing more with my life? Why am I behind on poetry responses? I have plenty of time in the day to do everything.

I'm not saying that each and everyday has to be better than the last. Because we all know it won't be. I'm just saying that personally, getting a new perspective on time would increase my happiness.

I've started making to do lists. I got a day planner. I write EVERYTHING down. I hate forgetting to be somewhere, or forgetting to do something. And the wonderful thing about list making is that it gives one the sense of accomplishment when one can cross something off.

You don't have to do everything in one day. No one expects you to. But just try to do what you can. Prioritize. Take advantage of every moment you have. Make each moment a shining moment.

This is not where I was planning on going with this at all. Thus, I'll redirect.

Every day, each and every one of us has good things in our lives. I call these shining moments. We need to learn to appreciaite them and take advantage of all the good.

For example, my mom makes me breakfast every single morning. She brings it to my room while I'm in the shower. Sometimes, I don't have time to eat it. But despite that, I know that it will always be there. This is one good thing in my life that I don't always notice.

Make the most of the good. Improve those moments. Recognize those in your life that put those shining moments there for you. Make shining moments for others. Cherish them. Notice them. Make those the central focus of your life, not the bad. Improve your shining moments, and I can guarantee you that your life will be better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home